DUBLIN, March 7, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — The “South Africa B2C E-Commerce Market Report 2022″ has been added to from ResearchAndMarkets.com offer.
The report shares information on the development of the online retail market, international comparisons, latest trends, in-country payment forecast, including the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. The publication reveals that card payments in South Africa leads to other payment methods, from 2021.
The market value of B2C e-commerce increased by more than 60% in South Africa between 2019 and 2020
COVID-19 has reflected notable changes in retail in South Africanamely, with a shrinking physical market and accelerated store closures, the B2C e-commerce market grew by more than 60% from 2019 to 2020. In addition, there was an increase of almost ten percentage points online shopper penetration in the country from 2019 to 2020. According to a November 2020 survey, convenience, the emergence of a pandemic, and short wait times/savings were cited as some of the main reasons for this increase in preference for online shopping.
Takealot.com and Gumtree.co.za were the most visited online shopping websites in South Africafrom 2021
South African online retailers dominated the choice of a platform for online shopping in 2020. Takealot.com, Gumtree.co.za and others were among the most frequent online retailers. Some retailers, seeing changes in consumer behavior and opportunities in the e-commerce market, have decided to go digital. Specifically, major market players have planned to invest in a growth strategy in 2021, as well as to strengthen their presence in the market. Additionally, one of the global giant e-retailers operating in South Africa has partnered with South Africa Post to provide customers with a more efficient and convenient delivery service from 2021.
Cross-border online shopping has been led by Millennials and Generation X in South Africa in 2020
Although South Africans primarily shop online at local online stores, cross-border online shopping is also well developed in the country. This type of purchase is particularly common among millennials and Gen Xers, and less common among Gen Z. Additionally, South African shoppers most often purchased in China, United States and the UK in 2020 when ordering cross-border.
Main topics covered:
1. Management Summary
2. Overview and international comparisons
- B2C e-commerce market overview, December 2021
- Online purchases and in-store/curbside pickup, by country, as % of consumers, July 2021
- Main obstacles to cash elimination in selected developed countries, in % of respondents, March 2021
- Internet penetration, by 10 countries, number of Internet users, population, share of Internet users, in % of population, December 2020
- Breakdown of Internet Traffic, by Device, in %, October 2021
- Shopping-related activities carried out online, in % of individuals, 2020
- Top Reasons for Accelerated Online Shopping Behavior, % of Adult Consumers, November 2020
- Penetration of cross-border purchases, by generation, in % of consumers, July 2021
- Top 3 markets for most recent cross-border purchase, as % of cross-border online shoppers, October 2020
- Breakdown of purchasing categories, by type of service and frequency of online purchase, as a % of adult consumers, November 2020
4. Sales and shares
- B2C e-commerce sales value, ZAR billion, and year-on-year change, %, 2018 – 2020
- Share of B2C e-commerce, % of total retail sales revenue, 2020 – 2022f
5. Internet users and online buyers
- Number of Internet users, in millions, 2019 & 2020
- Share of respondents who used the Internet to buy products/services online, in %, 2019 and 2020
- Main categories of products purchased online, as a % of adult consumers, November 2020
- Top 20 categories of products purchased online before COVID-19 and expected growth in purchases after COVID-19, in % of adult online shoppers, September 2020
- Breakdown of main payment methods, in %, 2021
- Share of respondents having made mobile payments, in %, 2019 & 2020
- Value of card payments, ZAR trillion, and year-on-year change, %, 2016 – 2024f
- Percentage of consumers who used a pick-up point delivery service for the first time during confinement and who will continue to use it, in %, September 2020
- Main factors influencing the choice of online retailer, incl. Delivery cost, in % of respondents, November 2020
- Top concerns impacting online shopping adoption, incl. High delivery costs, as a % of adult consumers, November 2020
- Presentation of B2C e-commerce players, December 2021
- Top 5 e-commerce and shopping sites, incl. Web visits, in millions, average duration of visits, in minutes, bounce rate, in %, and Top 5 countries, by share of visits, in %, October 2021
- GumTree.com Limited
- Mr. D Food
- OLX Inc.
- Pick n Pay Stores Ltd.
- Superbalist Pty Ltd
- Takealot Online (Pty) Ltd.
- To wish
- Woolworths Holdings Limited
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/mhsvww
ResearchAndMarkets.com is the world’s leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, top companies, new products and the latest trends.
Research and Markets
For EST office hours, call +1-917-300-0470
For USA/CAN call toll free +1-800-526-8630
For GMT office hours call +353-1-416-8900
US Fax: 646-607-1904
Fax (outside the US): +353-1-481-1716
SOURCE Research and Markets